PhD Position in Materials Chemistry at the Department of Materials and Environmental Chemistry, Stockholm University, Sweden.
The Department of Materials and Environmental Chemistry (MMK) is, with about 160 employees, one of the largest departments at the Faculty of Natural sciences at Stockholm University.
A significant part of the teaching activities is at the undergraduate level with courses in General, Physical, Inorganic, and Analytical Chemistry. The teaching at the graduate level focuses on the master’s programs in Sustainable Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry. Research activities of MMK focus primarily on materials and include different classes such as ceramics, glasses, self-assembled, porous materials, and soft matter. The projects often encompass synthesis, and characterization by X-ray, neutron diffraction, electron microscopy, solid-state NMR, and computer modeling of materials with a potential for various applications. Research activities in the area of Analytical Chemistry focus on developing advanced analytical techniques for studies of organic compounds and biomolecules.
Description of PhD Position
Project title: Wood protection with bark-based nanocomposite coatings.
Project Manager (PI): Assistant Professor Mika Sipponen (main supervisor), co-supervisor Professor Aji Mathew.
About the PhD Position in Materials Chemistry
This position is linked to the ERA-NET Forest Value project “BarkBuild” which is coordinated by Assistant Professor Mika Sipponen at MMK. This European consortium project will develop sustainable wood preservatives and wood-based building materials using wood bark as a renewable raw material. Lignin nanoparticles and lignin-containing cellulose nanofibrils are examples of bark-derived polymeric materials. The doctoral student will build on this foundation and study materials chemistry and develop process solutions for high-performance materials for wood protection.
The research group Sustainable Materials Chemistry (SUSMATCHEM) led by Assistant Professor Mika Sipponen (www.sipponenlab.com) develops functional materials based on lignin and other renewable building blocks to contribute to sustainable industry and society. We also conduct basic studies on the formation and structure, and performance of renewable nanomaterials, hybrid materials, and composites in their target applications.
Who are we looking for?
- The ideal applicant is proactive and equipped with a problem-solving mindset.
- The ambition to conduct interdisciplinary research ranging from fractionation of tree bark to chemical modification of its nanoscale building blocks is an asset along with the ability to collaborate with researchers from different scientific backgrounds.
- Candidates with expertise in polymer chemistry, materials science, lignocellulosic biomass, and colloidal chemistry are encouraged to apply.
- The applicant should have a good knowledge of English, both orally and in writing.
General Requirements for PhD Position in Materials Chemistry
For the general application requirements,
- the applicant must have completed a second-cycle degree, completed courses equivalent to at least 240 higher education credits, of which 60 credits must be in the second cycle, or have otherwise acquired equivalent knowledge in Sweden or elsewhere.
To meet the specific entry requirements,
- the general syllabus for doctoral studies in the field of Chemistry is valid. Click the link to find the general study plan on the Department´s website for doctoral studies
Importantly, all the qualification requirements must be met by the deadline for applications.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete and submitted following the instructions in the advertisement before the deadline.
- contact details and personal data
- highest degree
- language skills
- Contact details for 2–3 references
- Cover letter
- CV – degrees and other completed courses, work experience, and a list of degree projects/theses
- Project proposal/Research proposal describing:
– your interest in the field/project described in the advertisement
– how suitable you are for the project in question
- Degree certificates and grades confirming that you meet the general and specific entry requirements (no more than 6 files)
- Letters of recommendation (no more than 6 files)
- Degree projects/theses (no more than 6 files).
The selection among the eligible candidates will be based on their capacity to benefit from the training.
The following criteria will be used to assess this capacity:
- the candidates’ documented knowledge in a relevant field of research,
- written and oral proficiency in both Swedish and English,
- the capacity for analytical thinking,
- collaborative ability, creativity, initiative, and independence.
The assessment will be based on:
- previous experience and grades,
- the quality of the degree project, references, relevant experience, interviews, and
- the candidate’s written motivation for seeking the position.
Please check the Admission Regulations for Doctoral Studies at Stockholm University are available at: www.su.se/rules and regulations.
Terms of employment
Stockholm University strives to be a workplace free from discrimination and with equal opportunities for all. Therefore, admission decisions cannot be appealed.
- Only a person who will be or has already been admitted to a third-cycle program may be appointed to a doctoral studentship.
- The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year. The employment may be extended for a maximum of two years at a time. However, the total period of employment may not exceed the equivalent of four years of full-time study.
- Doctoral students should primarily devote themselves to their education but may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20% of a full-time position.
How to apply for the PhD Position in Materials Chemistry
For more information, please contact the PI, Mika Sipponen, at [email protected].
Ingrid Lander (Saco-S), telephone: +46 708 16 26 64, [email protected], Alejandra Pizarro Carrasco (Fackförbundet ST/Lärarförbundet), telephone: +46 8 16 34 89, [email protected], [email protected] (SEKO), and PhD student representative, [email protected].
Application Deadline: 22/04/2022
Please share and Goodluck!