Fully Funded PhD Position – Evaluating sustainable food systems at ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Doctoral candidate in Evaluating sustainable food systems is open for interested and qualified applicants.
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
About ETH Sustainable Food Processing Group
The ETH Sustainable Food Processing Group uses a combination of innovative sustainability assessment and emerging food technology approaches to target fundamental challenges in agri-food systems. This group is highly interdisciplinary, cross-cutting across environmental sustainability, nutrition, bioengineering, and food science domains.
Fully Funded PhD Position – Evaluating sustainable food systems at ETH Zurich, Switzerland:
This project aims to assess current and future food systems through the lens of environmental, nutritional, and social dimensions.
The project objective is two-fold:
- to improve and/or develop sustainability evaluation methods in the realm of life cycle assessment, prospective life cycle assessment, scenario projections, or integrated modelling, and
- to develop recommendations for sustainability improvements in different supply chains, countries, and regions, based on quantitative analyses.
An additional focus will be on future foods and alternative proteins (e.g., plant-based foods, cultured meat, insects, and microalgae) in collaboration with EU partners.
The position is fully funded.
What we offer
- Continuous training opportunities
- Support for career development in academia, entrepreneurship, and industry
- An interactive and diverse team culture
- A flexible working environment with home office opt ions
- You must have a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Environmental Science, Sustainable Systems, Environmental Engineering, Data Science, or a closely-related field, with excellent academic qualifications.
- You must be fluent in both written and spoken English.
- Strong statistical skills as well as experience in quantitative sustainability assessment and mathematical modelling of environmental systems will be considered a plus.
- An independent and self-motivated student who is able to work in a fast-paced interdisciplinary environment is highly appreciated.
- Cover letter including a short statement of experience and qualifications
- Diplomas/ transcripts
- Comprehensive CV with a complete publication list (maximum three pages)
- Two-page research proposal outlining the current issues, important literature, and possible approaches to tackling challenges in sustainable food systems
- Contact information for two academic referees
Most importantly, please note that applications without a research proposal will not be considered. Also note that we only accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the ETH Sustainable Food Processing group can be found on our website www.sfp.ethz.ch.
Additionally, questions regarding the position should be directed to Ashley Green by email [email protected] (no applications).