Fully funded Ph.D. Student position in Informatics with focus on developing emerging digital technologies at the University of Skövde, Sweden
The School of Engineering at the University of Skövde is characterized by a creative and dynamic environment, which includes a good collaborative environment, modern facilities, and excellent industrial collaboration. For more than a decade, the Engineering School has demonstrated how a small university can provide excellent applied research and education of high quality, as well as generate the means and technological innovations that characterize a successful research group. We work with an integrated educational value chain with known added values for the student, where our new engineering programs are CDIO-adapted, and the students have good opportunities for internships and work with our industry partners.
The right candidate will be part of a team whose work is of great importance to industry, society, and academia.
ABOUT THE FULLY FUNDED PH.D. STUDENT POSITION
As a doctoral student, you will work with developing emerging digital technologies such as Augmented Reality (AR) for improving manufacturing processes and production systems. You will work within the Division of Intelligent Production Systems at the School of Engineering Science. The work takes place in close collaboration with industry partners and as part of some research projects. The research will focus on developing solutions using the AR system to provide guidance and information as well as collecting data from the shop floor through motion tracking and image recognition. This research investigates how AR technologies support production and automation in smart environments. The doctoral project explores how emerging wearable interaction technologies such as AR glasses can help the industry improve product quality and safety as well as to increase work efficiency. This research includes the development of implementable solutions that both suit business needs and fill the scientific research gaps. Due to this, the student might be required to travel and spend time at company sites located in Sweden.
The PhD student position is offered within the area of informatics, which at the University of Skövde, is defined as the science that studies how information is represented, processed, and communicated in artificial and natural systems, and how such systems are used and developed in order to achieve usable and effective applications and solutions for individuals, organizations or society.
The employment concerns:
The main duties of the doctoral student are conducting research and performing departmental services, and the administrative work that comes with these tasks. Additional duties may be involved in the position.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR THE FULLY FUNDED PH.D. STUDENT POSITION IN SWEDEN
We are looking for candidates who have:
- Obtained a degree at the advanced level, or completed at least 240 higher education credits (ECTS), of which at least 60 credits are at the advanced level, or acquired essentially equivalent knowledge within or outside Sweden.
- Completed course requirements of at least 60 higher education credits (ECTS), including independent thesis work comprising at least 15 higher education credits at the advanced level in industrial engineering, production engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, information technology, automation technology, or other relevant shis.seubject areas
- Documented English language proficiency equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6. This can also be demonstrated by an internationally recognized test such as IELTS (overall score of 6.5), TOEFL (total score of 90), PTE (total score of 62), etc.
We will also evaluate the candidates based on the following assessment criteria:
- Good ability to assimilate knowledge at the research level.
- Documented good ability in teamwork and good ability to work both independently and in groups.
- Documented good ability to plan, organize and achieve set goals.
- Documented successful collaboration and experience of working with industry.
- Good ability to quickly learn and use new hardware and software platforms.
- Good knowledge and experience of programming in, e.g., C/C++/C#, MATLAB, Python.
- Good knowledge of optimization algorithms, machine learning algorithms, and mathematical modeling.
- A good knowledge of simulation techniques used in manufacturing and production engineering.
- Ability to communicate well, orally and in writing, in Swedish.
In this employment, great emphasis will be placed on good knowledge of optimization and machine learning algorithms, operations research techniques, good knowledge and experience of programming in, e.g., C/C++/C#, MATLAB, etc., and good knowledge of simulation techniques used in manufacturing and production engineering.
The University of Skövde works to actively prevent discrimination through efforts to maintain and improve an inclusive work environment.
The employment is fixed-term employment up to and including the completion of a doctoral degree, however, for a maximum of 5 years. The scope of employment is 100%, of which 80% doctoral studies and 20% departmental service. Salary is paid in accordance with a local agreement on a salary ladder for postgraduate students. Only those who are admitted or have already been admitted to a doctoral program may be employed as doctoral students.
The following documents must be attached with your application:
- Cover letter including a Statement of Purpose where you explain in English your motivation, research interests and expectations from the doctoral program
- Certificates/grades and other qualifications that you as an applicant want to invoke
- Academic degree and transcript
- Thesis work
According to the National Archives’ regulations, the University is obliged to keep application documents for two years after the appointment decision.
Deadline for applications: May 4th 2022
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE FULLY FUNDED PH.D. STUDENT POSITION
Application can be done by clicking on the “Apply” link . There you will also find information on how to prepare your application.
For further information, please contact the Head of the Division, Kristens Gudfinnsson ([email protected]) and Associate Professor Masood Fathi ([email protected]). Union information is provided by Anders Johansson (Saco-S) or Sonja Nohlgren (ST). All personnel can be reached via the University’s switchboard 0500-44 80 00.